A native of New Hampshire, Sandra Sell grew up with a passion for visually emulating nature and constructing objects. Upon completing a career in the military, Sell relocated to Arkansas where she earned a M.A. in Art from the University of Arkansas at Little Rock. With experience in drawing, painting, and sculpture, she strives to convey the observations of her emotional responses to life in her work.
Sell’s commitment to her profession as an artist spurs her to continually seek new and creative opportunities. In continuing her development as an artist, Sell served as studio assistant for Stoney Lamar and Brent Skidmore at the Penland School of Craft, N.C. and as an apprentice to artist Robyn Horn in Little Rock, AR. Sell is also enthusiastic about sharing her creative process through teaching, demonstrations, and by speaking to arts organizations and groups such as the Friends of Contemporary Craft (FOCC), an affiliate group of the Arkansas Arts Center.
Since 2007, Sell’s work has been featured in over 30 exhibits in the U.S. Recent exhibitions include:
- In 2018, Sell worked as a participating artist in the construction and installation of Wake by Mel Chin, which opened in New York’s Times Square on July 11, 2018.
- 24th international juried exhibition Craft Forms 2018, Wayne Art Center, Wayne PA, Jurors Award
- Materials: Hard + Soft International Contemporary Craft Competition and Exhibition (2017, 2018), Greater Denton Arts Council, Denton, TX
- Women’s Works 30th & 31th Anniversary, (2017, 2018) The Old Court House Art Center, Woodstock, IL
- Small Works (2015, 2018), The National Association of Women Artists, Inc. (NAWA), New York, NY
- Curiosity Revealed (2016), Thea Foundation, North Little Rock, AR; Merging Form and Surface (2016), Pulaski Technical College Center for Humanities and Arts, North Little Rock, AR
- Longevity (2015), Arkansas Capital Corporation Group, Little Rock, AR; Solo Show (2015), River Valley Arts Center, Russellville, AR
- Edges & Lines, National Juried Exhibition (2015), Fredericksburg Center for the Creative Arts, Fredericksburg, VA
- Annual Juried Art National Exhibition (2015), South Arkansas Arts Center (SAAC), El Dorado, AR
- The Penland Experience (2015), University of Arkansas at Little Rock, AR
- Salvage: Reclaiming Recycling (2009), National Juried Exhibition, The Phillips Museum of Art, Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, PA
- and others.
Sell’s work can be viewed in the permanent collections of the Arkansas Arts Center, the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, the Historic Arkansas Museum in Little Rock, and in private collections.